Monday, November 15, 2010

Mercy Among the Children by David Adams Richards


There were at least two moments in this book where I was having trouble reading because I "had something in my eye". It strips away all pretense and offers up a cast of characters whose pettiness, weakness and grace paint a beautiful picture of human morality and redemption.

One small matter that nags at me though; the final meeting between Lyle Henderson and Connie Devlin. After "saving" him from suicide and listening to the story of what happened to his father in the woods, does Lyle simply walk away? Two generations of Henderson's suffered due to Connie's reckless selfishness and stupidity. For me, this was a significant plot strand that was never fully fleshed out.

Just to be clear though, this is NOT a complaint. This book wrapped it's cold, impoverished, east coast arms around me from the first page and never let go. A definite must-read. Just make sure you keep a box of Kleenex nearby for when you get something in your eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment