Tuesday, February 1, 2011

John Vaillant and His $40K Tiger. No Golf or Mistresses Involved

Vancouver's John Vaillant just won Canada's biggest prize for non-fiction: The $40,000 British Columbia National Award. He won for The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival, a book that I  pick up and put back on the shelf every time I go in The Bookkeeper. I read his first offering, The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness and Greed last year and I loved it. So, what's stopped me from making the leap from browsing to buying this one? Well, upon reading the dust jacket images of the 1996 movie The Ghost and the Darkness parade through my head. They seem awfully similar. Killer cat? Check. True story? Check. Meditations on the folly of progress and the displacement of local wildlife? Check. Val Kilmer? Thankfully not. Now that this book has two things going for it, a prestigious award and the absence of Val Kilmer, I think I will officially put it on my must-buy list. You'll get my review when I get to it. My bedside table is being crushed under the weight of books-to-be-read so it might be a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment